WHAT IS AN IUI PROCEDURE?
IUI is a gentle and low-cost treatment protocol women can choose before moving on to the process of IVF. It is an alternative fertility treatment where sperm cells are placed directly inside the uterus to promote fertility. Commonly referred to as artificial insemination, IUI is often prescribed as a first treatment option for unexplained infertility when regular, ovulation-timed sexual intercourse has failed. We may recommend three to four IUI cycles before In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) is considered.
CANDIDATES FOR INTRAUTERINE INSEMINATION (IUI)
IUI is recommended for:
- Same sex parents
- Women under 35 has been unable achieve pregnancy after one year of regular, unprotected sexual intercourse.
- Women over 35, the time period is shortened to six months of regular, unprotected sexual intercourse.
- Patients using sperm donation or a sperm donor.
- Cervical mucus problems, or other issues that may prevent sperm from reaching the uterus.
- Male infertility including, low sperm count or poor motility.
- Irregular period and in conjunction with timed intercourse.
During your initial consultation, the doctor may recommend diagnostic testing to determine if you are suffering from a structural reproductive problem. Once structural problems are ruled out, you and your doctor will decide upon a customized IUI treatment plan.
IUI PREGNANCY SUCCESS
Depending on the woman’s age, recent studies have reported that IUI gives a woman an extra 10 to 20 percent chance of pregnancy. At New Hope Fertility NYC, our doctors recommend three to four IUI cycles for women having a good ovarian reserve, yet suffering from unexplained infertility.