Fertility specialists at New Hope Fertility clinic of New York offer the State-of-the-Art vitrification method of cryopreservation or freezing sperm. Dr. John Zhang was the first fertility doctor in the United States to implement this revolutionary freezing sperm technique. There is no risk for damaging the sperm when it is frozen/thawed using a sperm vitrification method. With our unique sperm freezing technique, we can make one sample last for several IVF cycles. No more waiting for sperm collection with egg retrievals/fertilization procedures.
Freezing Sperm is a safe and cost-effective means for men to resolve their infertility today and/or preserve their fertility for tomorrow.
- Male-factor infertility
- Male fertility preservation
Candidates for Freezing Sperm
Sperm freezing is commonly used in conjunction with ART therapies to provide men an opportunity to father biologically related children. The most common reasons that patients from throughout NYC and other states visit New York Fertility clinic for Sperm Freezing include:
- Men having a low chance of producing a pregnancy due to poor sperm quantity and/or quality
- Men wanting to preserve their future fertility before undergoing cancer treatment
- Men wanting to postpone fatherhood into their future
- Men having occupations involving a high risk of injury
- Men who are about to undergo surgery risking the health of their reproductive system
- Men who are planning a vasectomy, but want to preserve their fertility for the future should their situation in life change
- Men undergoing infertility treatment with their partners, but who are not available to produce a semen sample when needed
Freezing Sperm or cryopreservation of sperm is recommended by the best fertility doctors in NYC for all men at risk of infertility who want to father children in the future.
ART Treatments for Male-Factor Infertility
- Intrauterine Insemination (IUI)
- In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
- Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI)
Is Your Sperm Up To The Job?
When a couple cannot conceive after having regular, unprotected sexual intercourse for one year, there is a 30 percent chance it could be due to male-factor infertility. Contrary to perpetuated myths, a man’s fertility does actually decline with age. Our fertility specialists in NYC led by fertility doctor Zhang advise freezing sperm while young and healthy to preserve a man’s future ability to have children. Also, aging sperm is a risk factor in fathering children born with chromosomal abnormalities, such as Trisomy 21 or Down’s Syndrome.
Cutting Edge Vitrification Method for Freezing Sperm
At New Hope Fertility NYC, the preferred ART technique of vitrification is used to freeze sperm. Vitrification is a flash-freezing method making it possible to ready the sperm rapidly for cryopreservation. Using the vitrification freezing sperm method, sperm freezes quickly to reduce damaging ice crystals from forming between cells. New Hope Fertility NYC is among the best in sperm freezing. Dr. John Zhang was the first fertility specialist in the United States to implement the vitrification method of cryopreservation. Our New York fertility institute aims to be among the best fertility clinics in NYC and in the region.
Vitrification Method of Freezing Sperm
- Temperature of sperm drops from 98.6°F (37°C) to 320°F (-196°C) instantaneously
- Cells are dehydrated prior to freezing
- Protectants are used to help remove as much water as possible between cell formations
- Harmful ice crystals are prevented from forming between cells
- Survival rates for sperm frozen using vitrification are higher than when using the traditional slow-freezing method
- Flash freezing/thawing increases the chances of safely restoring the sperm to its original state
At New Hope Fertility NYC, cost-effective and successful IVF cycles are achieved through sperm freezing during treatment. Patient convenience is prioritized through sperm freezing. One frozen semen sample can be selectively thawed and used for several fresh IVF cycles. Frozen semen eliminates the need to coordinate sperm collection with the timing of egg retrievals and in vitro fertilization procedures.
A computer-assisted semen analysis performed by our best fertility specialist Dr. Zhang is a simple – yet sophisticated – diagnostic test used to analyze a man’s sperm quality and quantity.
- Sperm Concentration – the number of sperm in the ejaculate
- Sperm Motility – the percentage of sperm moving and the qualities of movement such as speed and straightness
- Sperm Morphology – the percentage of sperm having a normal appearance in size and shape
Click or call to schedule your fertility consultation today.
ICSI – Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection
When a diagnosis of male factor infertility has been made, ICSI in conjunction with IVF using the man’s sperm is typically recommended. ICSI is an enhanced fertilization method of selecting and injecting a single sperm cell directly into the egg.
ICSI Enhances Egg Fertilization
ICSI is used during IVF to individually fertilize each egg for optimal results. ICSI is used to maximize the rate of fertilization and lessen the chances of sperm not being able to penetrate the wall of an egg.
- After the semen sample has been prepared, a single sperm is picked up into a tiny glass pipette under the guidance of a microscope
- The sperm is injected directly into an egg by passing the pipette through the surface of the egg
- The sperm cell is released into the egg and the pipette is withdrawn
- Simultaneously, a second polar body is released from the egg
Other State-of-the-Art Cryopreservation Technologies
- Egg Freezing
- Embryo Freezing and Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET)
- Ovarian Tissue Freezing
As with our other fertility preservation options, we freeze sperm using the vitrification process so there is almost no risk for damaging the sperm when it is frozen/thawed. In addition, by selectively thawing portions of the sperm, we can make one sample last for several IVF cycles. It can also be convenient for couples, making it no longer necessary to time the sperm collection with egg retrievals/fertilization procedures.
Do you have questions about male fertility preservation or freezing sperm procedure in NYC? Would you like to schedule an appointment with fertility specialist Dr. John Zhang? Please contact our Midtown Manhattan fertility clinic.