So, you have officially been diagnosed with PCOS and are wondering what treatment options are available. Well, look no further because we have compiled a complete list of options for treating/managing PCOS symptoms!
Quick refresh: Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a condition in which the ovaries produce an abnormal amount of androgens (male sex hormone). PCOS is a hormonal disorder common among women of reproductive age and can cause females to experience irregular menstrual cycles, overproduction of hair, infertility, weight gain, and more.
Ways to treat PCOS:
- Diet Changes – A nourishing diet can help regulate your hormones and your menstrual cycle. Eating processed, heavily preserved foods can contribute to inflammation and insulin resistance.
- Supplements – Supplements have been shown to help with hormone regulation, insulin resistance, and inflammation symptoms associated with PCOS. Supplements are not regulated by the FDA though, so make sure to check with your presiding physician which supplements, if any, are right for your case!
- Exercise – Exercise is a necessary practice for maintaining a healthy BMI. Since a symptom of PCOS is weight gain, working out in any capacity on a weekly basis is a great solution. On the other side too much exercise can be harmful to some individuals’ hormone levels, so check with your doctor about a proper weekly regimen.
- Reduce Stress Levels – Stress can negatively impact the body in many ways and can heighten PCOS symptoms. To positively manage stress try sleeping the recommended 8 hours, acupuncture, meditation, and other calming activities.
- Birth Control – Oral contraceptives contain estrogen and progestin, which can help manage PCOS symptoms by normalizing the menstrual cycle. By reducing levels of male hormones, birth control can help control excess hair growth and acne as well.
- Hair Removal – Shaving, bleaching, plucking, waxing, and applying over-the-counter hair-removal creams are effective methods of removing unwanted hair.
- Fertility Treatments – There are certain fertility drugs and procedures that are used to combat PCOS when trying to conceive. To determine if PCOS is the cause of your infertility and what treatment plan is best for you, schedule a consultation today!
Why New Hope?
New Hope Fertility Center is home to world-renowned fertility specialists. We custom-design fertility treatments for the individual to increase the chances of a successful pregnancy. Our specialists believe in putting the patient first and being with them through every step of the fertility journey. Our team is well-versed in helping women of all ages reach their fertility goals and we are passionate about educating, and supporting our patients throughout their journey. If you want compassionate fertility care, New Hope is the right place for you. Call us at (347) 970-8479 or schedule your initial consultation today!