You may have heard other fertility clinics, websites or even friends use the term “Light IVF.”
Light IVF is an alternative to traditional in vitro fertilization that uses reduced amounts of fertility medication. Also known as minimal stimulation, or mini IVF, Light IVF uses a woman’s natural fertility as a foundation for fertility care. Rather than prescribing large doses of fertility medication, Mini IVF prescribes only the level of medication needed to promote the growth and maturation of three to five eggs. The eggs that are developed through a minimal stimulation protocol are typically healthier and better suited for fertilization than their traditional counterparts, which increases the overall success rates of the procedure. Additionally, embryos that result from minimal stimulation IVF protocols are more likely to result in live births.
During a light in vitro fertilization cycle:
- Each woman is monitored closely with blood work and ultrasound
- At the appropriate time, you will be instructed to take Clomid, an oral fertility medication
- Once the body is ready, you may be prescribed between one and three doses of Menopur, an injectable fertility medication.
- Synarel, a nasal spray may also be prescribed
- Once the eggs have reached optimal maturation, they will be retrieved during an outpatient procedure
- The retrieved eggs are then fertilized in our laboratory using your partner’s or donor sperm
- The resulting embryo is then transferred directly back into the uterus.
In the event of surplus embryos, we suggest they be frozen and store using vitrification. At New Hope, we generally focus on single embryo transfer for optimal results. Research has found that transferring more than one embryo does not improve the odds of getting pregnant. However, transferring more than one embryo does increase the likelihood of multiples, which results in health risks for both mother and child.
Why New Hope?
New Hope Fertility Center is the home to world-renowned fertility specialists. We custom design fertility for the individual to increase the chances of a successful pregnancy. We believe in putting the patient first and holding their hand through the fertility journey. If you want compassionate fertility care, New Hope is the right place for you. Call us at (212) 517-7676 or visit our website to schedule an initial consultation today!