Many people find IVF and other reproductive procedures intimidating—taking the first step can be difficult. So, you’re probably wondering about your fertility consultation: what to expect? Understanding what happens during your first appointment may ease your nerves a bit.
In honor of National Infertility Awareness Week, we’ll go through what happens at a fertility clinic, what questions you should ask, and how to get ready for this crucial meeting in this blog.
Preparing for Your Fertility Consultation
Before your consultation, gather all relevant medical records, insurance documents, and any test results you may have. Make sure your partner, if applicable, is available to attend the appointment, as their medical history and support are essential. You might also want to start tracking your basal body temperature (BBT) or use ovulation predictor kits (OPK) to determine if and when you’re ovulating. This information can be valuable for the fertility specialist during your consultation.
What Happens at the First Fertility Clinic Appointment?
During your first visit, you can expect the following:
- Discussing your medical history and insurance information: Be prepared to provide details about your medical history, including any preexisting conditions, surgeries, and allergies. Your partner’s medical history will also be discussed.
- Lengthy appointment: Allocate around an hour for the initial consultation. Your reproductive endocrinologist will want to learn as much as possible about your situation, including your sexual history and how long you’ve been trying to conceive.
- Strict protocols: Fertility clinics have strict protocols in place to ensure patient privacy and security. You may be asked to provide identification or even have your photo taken for their records.
- Vitals and physical examination: A clinical assistant will take your vitals and, for women, perform a pelvic exam and vaginal ultrasound to assess the shape of the uterus, ovaries, and antral follicle count.
- Discussing test results: Your fertility specialist will discuss the findings from your exam and answer any questions you may have.
- Follow-up fertility testing: Depending on your initial consultation, your physician may recommend additional tests such as bloodwork, semen analysis, or hysterosalpingogram (HSG) to evaluate your fallopian tubes and uterine cavity.
Fertility Consultation Questions to Ask
It’s essential to ask questions during your appointment to ensure you have a clear understanding of the process and expectations. Some questions you’ll want to ask include:
- Who will be performing the monitoring, procedures, and ultrasounds?
- What time does ultrasound monitoring start in the morning?
- How long are the monitoring appointments on average?
- Will my doctor be the one to perform my IUI, egg retrieval, or embryo transfer?
- How does weekend monitoring work?
- Who can I contact with questions, and when are they available?
- Will my physician be available via phone or email for communication?
Understanding Your Options
Understanding the variety of fertility treatments available is essential to make informed decisions. Our experts will discuss different options during your consultation, including IVF, IUI, egg freezing, and other advanced reproductive technologies. They will help you determine the most suitable treatment for your unique situation, considering factors like your medical history, age, and personal preferences. This will ensure you feel confident in your chosen path.
Next Steps After Your Fertility Consultation
Once you’ve completed your initial consultation and any recommended tests, your doctor will provide a diagnosis and discuss treatment options with you. These options can range from simple to complex, and your treatment plan will be tailored to your individual needs to achieve a safe and successful pregnancy.
Preparing for your fertility consultation can be an exciting yet nerve-wracking experience. Knowing what to expect, asking the right questions, and understanding the next steps will help you feel more confident and in control of your fertility journey.
With New Hope by your side, you’ll have a dedicated team of professionals committed to providing you with the best possible care and support. Embarking on this journey may be challenging, but the reward of starting or growing your family is well worth the effort.
Why New Hope?
New Hope Fertility Center is home to world-renowned fertility specialists. We custom-design fertility treatments for the individual to increase the chances of a successful pregnancy. Our specialists believe in putting the patient first and being with them through every step of the fertility journey. Our team is well-versed in helping women of all ages reach their fertility goals and we are passionate about educating and supporting our patients throughout their journey. If you want compassionate fertility care, New Hope is the right place for you. Call us at (347) 970-8479 or schedule your initial consultation today!