Yoga for Infertility
Studies have shown that low-impact yoga can significantly increase conception success rates in women undergoing In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) treatment. When you are investing significant amounts of time, money and emotion into an IVF cycle, you want to do everything you can to make it successful. Research suggests that undergoing a high-impact exercise regimen during an IVF cycle does not assist in successful outcomes.
Benefits of Yoga for Infertility
A thoughtful regimen of yoga during an IVF cycle combines mindful meditation with physical movement. Yoga is a great physical activity for preparing the body for undergoing the physical and emotional challenges of an IVF cycle. Yoga prepares the body for pregnancy.
- Reduces stress
- Balances hormones
- Balances body, mind and spirit
- Reduce BMI (Body Mass Index)
Physical activity through yoga in conjunction with IVF will:
- Elicit a relaxation response in your body to reduce chronic stress
- Counteract harmful stress hormones
- Direct blood flow
There are many creative yoga sequences specifically designed to:
- Center attention on breathing
- Center attention on relaxing the mind and body
Practicing Yoga During Your IVF Cycle
A thoughtful regimen of yoga during an IVF cycle combines mindful meditation with physical movement. Yoga is a great physical activity for preparing the body for undergoing the physical and emotional challenges of an IVF cycle.
Yoga is helpful during:
When practicing yoga during an IVF cycle, follow five simple rules.
- Listen to your body – stop if something doesn’t feel right
- No twists
- No full inversions
- Avoid stress on your abdominal muscles
- Keep your body temperature neutral during your yoga practice – don’t sweat it
Click here for examples of helpful yoga practices during an IVF cycle.